The Land of Fire and Ice
5 Fun Facts About Iceland
1. Iceland has more than 125 volcanic mountains. There is a volcanic eruption on average every 4 years.
2. Iceland is a geologically young landscape due to its location on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates. Magma and glaciers are responsible for carving out everything in Iceland making Iceland's landscape like no other.
3. The capital city of Iceland is Reykjavík, which is the most northern capital city in the world.
4. Iceland is about 39,000 square miles – close to the size of Ohio. Iceland's population is 330,000 people - The University of Michigan's “Big House” stadium would accommodate 30% of Iceland's residents.
5. Consumption of Coca–Cola per capita is higher in Iceland than in any other country, but there aren’t any McDonald’s anywhere in Iceland.
Enjoy these sample photos taken by our travelers